“To promote waka ama (outrigger canoeing) for all ages; to encourage cultural awareness, healthy living and whanaungatanga for families in Mount Maunganui.”
- To create a safe positive environment for youth
- To encourage family values and relationships
- To open the sport of outrigger canoeing to all sectors of the community
- To enhance social interaction using outrigger canoeing as a medium
- To enter and support teams in all divisions at regional and national regattas
- To provide skilled coaches
- To have in place safety procedures for all activities
- To be self sufficient
- To foster and promote the ancient traditions of Polynesian waka for recreational and sporting purposes
Meetings are 6pm, the last Monday of each month. All members welcomed to attend. Contact the Secretary for agenda and venue.
Club notices are via email and shed noticeboard. Add your name to the email list
Ensure you read the Club Safety rules. Copies are in the shed or contact an executive member.
The Club has 9 waka; 5 x W6, 2 x W2, 2x W1. Rostered training times are on the shed noticeboard. Contact the Waka Allocator to book training, races, waka experience etc.
Life jackets and plastic kayak paddles are available for training sessions and are stored in the shed. Wash and return to the shed after use.